Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Writing a Novel in a Month: Fun or Crazy? How About Both!

NaNoWriMo is a great annual event for people who want to write a novel (or several short stories, screenplays--I've even heard of people writing code for several big programs--whatever will be 50,000 words or more).

Starting Nov. 1, a HUGE number of people will be starting a new project--something that they may have planned but not actually started writing. Then you just log in and keep track of your progress. The NaNoWriMo site has cool tips, forums, and other helpful stuff, and there are many ways you can meet other participants. Locally, my SD Writers Ink group is doing weekly NaNoWriMo meetings and a finale party.

I tried this last year, but didn't complete the project. I was in the middle of some very difficult dissertation deadlines and just couldn't concentrate on fiction. I decided to try again the next year when I would be done with my Ph.D. Well, here it is next year, and I am signing up again.

If you have ever wanted to write a novel (or something else big), this is a great time to do it with a lot of other people. Sure, it may seem crazy. It is a lot of words, but it doesn't hurt to try and there is a lot of support out there to help.

One writing blog I've been reading, How Not to Write, had a good post on reasons you might give to not join NaNoWriMo:
http://www.hownottowrite.com/nanowrimo/twelve-step-program-for-nanowrimo-acceptance/

I agree with these sentiments. Decide to join and do it. No excuses.

No comments: