Thursday, November 20, 2008

. . . Neither has Shakespeare!

It is over half way through NaNoWriMo and I am way behind on my word count for my novel. This reminds me of a postcard I have propped up on a bookshelf, "So I haven't written much lately! Neither has Shakespeare."

There have been several factors delaying my writing. The most important is the job hunt. Even when I'm not actively looking for a job or working on some aspect of the search, I still feel guilty taking time to write a novel. It is funny. Being unemployed should give me no excuse and yet it is the very lack of a job which keeps me from writing. I'm at just under 10,000 words. If I'm to reach 50,000 words by the end of the month, I'll have to get writing!

Speaking of Shakespeare, I'm a member of the San Diego Shakespeare Society and on this past Monday we had a fun event. It was called the Shakespeare Musicale and was a performance of music from Shakespeare's plays. I had helped in the planning of it a little and I gathered images which were then projected from my computer up onto the wall behind the performers. The images were timed with cues in the script so on Monday I was up in the tech booth in the back, hitting a button to move to my next image and hoping it would all work out. It did! The show went really well. I have been enjoying being a part of this group. It is a new volunteer position for me but a very enjoyable one. There are pictures of the event online, if you are curious.

And, one last note, the Jules Verne book which is making a tour of the world in 80 days or less has left Europe and is heading to Asia. It will make it to us eventually. Stay tuned for more information.

Meanwhile, I have to get back to writing, both here and for my novel! Shakespeare didn't get to be the Bard by not finishing his writing. His excuse for not writing much lately is because he is dead. I'm not dead, just unemployed, and I hope to fix that soon, --so off to write my novel!

No comments: